Broaden your intellect and advance your career. Earn a Johns Hopkins master's degree in a convenient, online, part-time format.
The Johns Hopkins' Advanced Academic Programs Master of Liberal Arts (MLA) degree is a unique graduate program that asks you to both broaden and deepen your knowledge. The MLA Program provides a rigorous interdisciplinary liberal arts education that draws from the Humanities, Social Sciences, and Natural Sciences. The program thrives on the curiosity, passion, and diversity of its students, and it is designed to serve independent thinkers from a variety of academic, professional, and personal backgrounds.
Students enjoy a great deal of flexibility as they complete their 10 courses within the program. Aside from the core and capstone course requirements, the majority of courses within the program are interdisciplinary electives. Students even have choices when selecting their capstone project, which may be a graduate project (i.e., a thesis or creative work), internship, or portfolio.
Sample Interdisciplinary Elective Courses:
- Why Read the Classics?
- Italian Renaissance Art and Thought
- Social History of Medicine
- Six Degrees of Miles Davis
- Leadership and the Classics
- What is History?
- "When the lamps went out": WWI as history, memory and commemoration
- Philosophy of Beauty
- Aristotle and Hobbes: Physics, Psychology, Ethics and Politics
- Deep Ecology: Environmental Ethics
- American Political Theory and Practice
Why Choose JHU?
- Asynchronous Courses: You can learn when and where it's best for you while continuing your full-time profession.
- High-Level Interaction: Faculty members are available for group conversations and individual meetings. Students from across the globe interact easily with one another through multiple digital mediums.
- World-Class Learning: Learning from anywhere means you can learn from anyone. JHU AAP pulls faculty and guest lecturers who are top in their fields from around the globe to teach the program.
- Diverse Student Body: Passionate, curious professionals from a variety of backgrounds earn their MLA at JHU AAP. They include teachers, lawyers, doctors, military personnel, nurses, social workers, business professionals, artists, retirees, and more.
- Interdisciplinary Approach: Work with an academic advisor to choose courses that enable you to deepen your intellectual interests and explore new areas of thought.