Master of Arts in Film and Media
Advance to the Leading-Edge of Film, Digital Media, and Immersive Technologies
Develop the expertise, resources, and relationships to launch or advance your career in film and media with the on-campus MA in Film and Media degree from Johns Hopkins University’s Advanced Academic Programs (AAP) division. Experience a flexible education with opportunities to master immersive technologies as you build on your passion for storytelling, film, and business.
Take part in career-relevant courses taught by practicing writers, producers, sound professionals, and creators. Additionally, guest lectures by industry innovators will provide you with extensive knowledge of digital media fundamentals and trends. Advance to the cutting-edge of innovation as you develop expertise in immersive storytelling using augmented reality.
Join this unique program to:
- Experience leading-edge coursework that can shape and refine your point of view for storytelling. Gain the abilities to create a body of work that reflects who you are as a filmmaker.
- Learn from working writers, producers, sound professionals, and creators. They will empower you to learn the fundamentals of the craft and embrace future-facing forms of storytelling and technology.
- Explore film and media theory as you take part in intensive hands-on experiences led by industry professionals.
- Choose a concentration that centers on writing, sound production, business, or immersive storytelling that leverages emerging technologies.
Engage in empowering coursework at our Baltimore campus.
Specializations for a Career Behind the Camera or Behind the Scenes
The master’s degree in film and media offers concentrations in:
This highly collaborative concentration focuses on expanding augmented reality, virtual reality, and artificial intelligence storytelling. Industry experts will help you leverage immersive technologies to bring innovative stories to life as a vehicle for change in business, policy, and social issues.
Hone your skills to successfully write original TV and feature film scripts. The coursework trains you to develop and outline ideas, as well as work through drafts and revisions. Learn how to map out a TV series over multiple seasons and write for various digital media platforms.
Develop advanced skills in recording, editing, designing, and mixing sound across TV, film, and digital formats.
Build a deep understanding and fluency in the mechanics and changing landscape of the media business. Gain expertise in many aspects of these industries, including how to develop, finance, market, distribute, and produce film and media projects.
This program combines theory with intensive hands-on experiences in a range of master classes taught by industry professionals. You will learn from industry-leading creatives and get the opportunity to work with visiting artists (funded by grants from the Sundance Institute) who are experts in immersive storytelling.
Build a broad foundation of knowledge in the film and media industry through courses that include:
- Graduate Filmmaking Studio
- Screenwriting Workshop
- Episodic Writing Workshop – The Pilot
- Fundamentals of Business I
- Recording Sound for Film
- Mixing Sound for Picture
- Immersive Storytelling and Emerging Technologies Foundations
- Capstone for Film and Media
With this program, you can tailor the coursework to your career goals. Choose elective courses from one to two concentrations within the areas of writing, sound, business, and immersive storytelling and emerging technologies. These specialized courses enable you to develop a portfolio of professional work samples and a deep understanding of your focus area. Build the skills, work experience, and connections to bring your film and media goals to life.