Enhance your record and knowledge to prepare for medical school admissions.
Build your experience and enhance your competitiveness as you work toward your goal of medical school admissions with the Johns Hopkins Advanced Academic Programs (AAP) Post-Baccalaureate Health Science Intensive Program. Designed specifically for students interested in applying for medical school, this program will bolster your academic qualifications and give you the intensive interpersonal training and advising that will make you a more competitive medical school candidate.
You will graduate with a valuable MS in Biotechnology degree from the university ranked by U.S. News & World Report as the #2 medical school for research and #6 in biological sciences graduate degree programs. In addition to building your relevant science skills, this program also develops the problem-solving, leadership, and AAMC core competencies needed by modern physicians.
Upon graduation, you will:
- Thoroughly understand the medical school application process and develop an individual strategy for successful application.
- Develop the confidence, self-knowledge and evidence-based communications skills needed for success in medical school interviews.
- Possess the ability to develop creative solutions to solve health-related problems.
- Understand the issues currently affecting the medical profession and be able to evaluate how they will impact future medical practice.
- Explore your preferred niche or specialty in medical practice.
This intensive 40-credit program must be completed in 12 months. It includes the following 4-credit core courses that bolster relevant science skills as well as the problem-solving, leadership, and AAMC core competencies needed by modern physicians:
- Molecular Biology
- Advanced Cell Biology I
- Problem-solving for Innovation in Health Care
- Building and Leading Teams in Health Care
- The Psychosocial Determinants of Health, Implications on Diagnostics
Students will select an additional four elective courses from a list that includes these and other advanced science courses relevant to the medical field:
- Advanced Cell Biology II
- Human Molecular Genetics
- Principles of Immunology
- Infectious Diseases
- Biology of HIV & AIDS
- Cancer Biology
Graduate ready to maximize your chances of success in medical school admissions with one-on-one MCAT preparation and advising curriculum. You will also develop the knowledge, professionalism, cultural competence, and interpersonal skills that will facilitate your success throughout your medical career.