Lead the data revolution — no prior experience required.
The graduate programs in government analytics prepare professionals from diverse academic backgrounds to create, evaluate, and lead evidence-based programs to better serve government agencies, non-profit organizations, and companies in the private sector. You’ll develop expertise in using cutting-edge analytical methods and software to uncover evidence-based solutions and strategies.
Master's Degree Concentrations
You have the option to specialize in one of four areas that aligns with your career goals:
- Statistical Analysis
- Geospatial Analysis
- Political Behavior and Policy Analysis
- Public Management
The MS in Government Analytics program is offered primarily online, though you may choose to take some electives at the Johns Hopkins Washington, DC Center if you’d like. You can take classes on a full-time or part-time basis. The average time to complete the degree is two years. We welcome professionals with an interest in analytics — no prior coursework in statistics or quantitative methods is required.
The master's degree consists of 12 courses and is taught by a combination of Johns Hopkins’ professors, scholar-practitioners, and experts at the highest levels of government and industry.
Five Core Courses:
- Statistics and Political Analysis
- Quantitative Methods
- Advanced Quantitative Methods
- Capstone for Government Analytics
Choice of 1 of the following:
- Data Visualization
- Big Data Management Systems
- Program Evaluation
- Applied Performance Analytics
- Data Mining and Predictive Analytics
- Data Science for Public Policy
Sample courses include:
- Practical Applications of Artificial Intelligence
- Unleashing Open Data with Python
- Survey Methodology
- Machine Learning and Neural Networks
- Text as Data
- Data-driven Campaigns
- Cloud Computing in the Public Sector
- Urban Data Analytics
- Privacy in a Data-driven Society
Also available: Graduate Certificate in Government Analytics
If you are interested in learning more about Johns Hopkins AAP additional program offerings, please click here.